Sahibzada Mohammad Shahid Khan Afridi or more commonly known as Shahid Afridi, is a gift for the Pakistani cricket team. He was born on 1st march 1980 in the Khyber Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas. He hails from the Pashtun family and is a cousin of Jawed Afridi, CEO of Haier Pakistan. He is married and has four daughters. He is one of the leading players of Pakistan in cricket and has a huge fan following due to his good looks and because of his runs and wickets taken.
Shahid Afridi entered into the world of cricket on 2nd October 1996 at the mere age of 16 years, as a replacement leg spinner for the injured Mushtaq Ahmed. The match was an ODI against Kenya for the four-nation Sameer Cup 1996-97. However, he dint bat and went wicket less. He played the next match against SriLanka, in which he batted at number 3 and broke the record for fastest century in ODI cricket, reaching 100 runs in 37 balls. He hit eleven sixes in the same international innings which also equaled the record for the most in an ODI innings, Pakistan won the match and Afridi was named man of the match. He was then declared to be the youngest player to score an ODI century.
Afridi began his career as a fast bowler but after scoring the fastest century in his first ODI innings, he was expected to become a better batsman. His batting style is very aggressive and attack oriented which has also earned him the nickname, ‘Boom Boom Afridi’. However, he considers himself to be a better bowler than a batsman. His bowling style is leg-spinner and is also considered the most dangerous spinner in the world.
Between 1996 and 2011, Afridi played 27 Tests, 325 One Day Internationals, and 43 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) for the Pakistani national team. He also holds the record of taking the most wickets and getting the most man of the match awards in Twenty20 international cricket. Shahid Afridi due to his dynamic personally is known internationally in the world of cricket. He has set many world records in his career:
- He was the youngest player to score a test century.
- He scored 50 runs in just 26 balls against India which was the second fastest test fifty.
- In 2006, he scored 4 consecutive sixes against India which is a world record for the most consecutive sixes in a test.
- He has set the record of the highest test rate in an innings opposite Australia with a strike rate of 206.66.
- He was the youngest player to score a century in the ODI.
- He has smashed the longest six in the history of cricket world, which was 158 meters long against South Africa.
- He is declared to be the 6th highest wicket taker in the world.
- He is the only player who took 350 wickets and scored 8000 runs in ODIs.
- He has the most played matches in his career.
In 2009 he was made the captain of the Twenty20 Pakistan cricket team after Younus Khan retired. On 31 January 2010, Afridi was caught on camera biting into the ball towards the end of the 5th Commonwealth Bank ODI series in Australia. Later Afridi pleaded guilty to ball tampering and he was banned from two Twenty20 internationals. In March 2010 the board announced that Shahid Afridi had been appointed ODI captain in place of the sacked Mohammad Yousuf he led Pakistan in the 2010 Asia Cup and during his first three matches as ODI captain he scored two centuries against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh he finished as the tournaments highest run scorer with 384 runs from 3 matches. His captaincy was not very good and was claimed as a poor captain by the coach Waqar Younus. Afridi announced his retirement from ODI cricket after 2015 Cricket World Cup