PSL dubbed as Pakistan Super League was launched in 2016, which was the first time Pakistan introduced its own international cricket league to the world. India had introduced IPL or Indian Premier League in which all the international players were invited to play except Pakistan due to the enmity between the two countries, so Pakistan decides to have its own cricket league. The first PSL tournament was conducted in February 2016 in UAE.
PSL consists of five teams, namely the five top cities of Pakistan which were purchased and named by the leading investors of the country. The first team is Islamabad United, which is owned by Leonine Global Capital Territory Sports in US$ 15 million. The second team is Lahore Qalandars, which is owned by Qatar Lubricants Company Limited by Fawad Rana in US$ 25 million. The third team is Karachi Kings which is owned by the ARY Media Group (CEO Salman Iqbal) in US$26 million. The fourth team is Quetta Gladiators owned by Omar associated of Nadeem Omar in US$ 11 million. The fifth and last team is Peshawar Zalmi owned by Haier Pakistan of Jawed Afridi in US$ 16 million.
10 TOP FACTS OF PSL 2017
- Due to the popularity of the previous PSL Tournament, the administration has decided to add more players to the PSL League.
- In the last tournament of PSL only four international players were playing per team but now due to its hype more international players want to be a part of it thus the allotted quota is five international players per team.
- It was announced that the final round of PSL will be played at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore which has been closed since 2008 after the terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan Team.
- The tournament boasts of big international names such as Chris Gayle, Andre Russell, Shane Watson, Dwayne Smith, Nathan McCullum and even more.
- The players will be divided into five groups namely Platinum, Diamond, Gold, Silver, and Emerging. The players in the last group should be under 23 years of age as on January 1st
- There has been a 9% increase in the salaries of all the players in the 2017 tournament.
- In the 2016 tournament, the teams were picked turn by turn and all the rounds were completely randomized. Now in the 2017 tournament, the team placed last in the previous tournament will pick the player first in every round. Following by the team who finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd and the winner of the edition will pick last in every round. This way each team can add valuable players and emerge as the strongest team.
- Each team has the option of 16 players which will be 3 from Platinum, 3 from Diamond group, 3 from Gold, 5 from Silver, 2 from Emerging and 4 extra from Supplementary players.
- The salaries for a Platinum ICON player will be $200,000, for a Platinum Normal player will be $140,000, for a Diamond Player will be $70,000, for a Gold player will be $50,000, for a silver player will be $25,000 and the emerging player will get a fixed salary of $20,000.
- 2016 was a year when no channel promoted the live tournament of PSL except PTV but in the year 2017 almost everywhere the tournament will be shown live.
Karachi Kings Players for PSL 2017
Platinum: Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Shoaib Malik
Diamond: Muhammad Amir, Ravi Bopara, Kumar Sangakkara ,
Gold: Imad Wasim, Babar Azam, Ryan McLaren
Silver: Khurram Manzoor, Sohail Khan, Shahzaib Hassan, Saifullah Bangash, Kashif Bhatti
Emerging: Abrar Ahmed, Abdul Hameed
Supplementary: Mahela Jayawardene, Usama Mir, Rahat Ali, Amad Alam
Quetta Gladiators Players for PSL 2017
Platinum: Kevin Pieterson, Sarfaraz Ahmad, Ahmed Shahzad
Diamond: Carlos Braithwaite, Luke Wright, Anwar Ali
Gold: Tymal Mills, Umer Gul , Zulfiqar Babar
Silver: Umer Amin, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Nabi, Asad Shafiq, Saad Nasim
Emerging: Hassan Khan, Noor Ali
Supplementary: David Willey, Rovman Powell, Bismillah Khan, Mir Hamza
Peshawar Zalmi Players for PSL 2017
Platinum: Shahid Afridi, Eoin Morgan, Wahab Riaz
Diamond: Shakib ul Hassan, Darren Sammy, Muhammad Hafeez
Gold: Chris Jordan, Tamim Iqbal, Kamran Akmal
Silver: Sohaib Maqsood, Junaid Khan, Imran Khan Jr., Iftikhar Ahmad, Haris Sohail
Emerging: Hassan Ali, Muhammad Asghar
Supplementary Picks: Alex Hales, Mohammad Shehzad, Irfan Khan, Khushdil Shah
Lahore Qalandars Players for PSL 2017
Platinum: Brendon McCullum, Sunil Narine, Umar Akmal
Diamond: Sohail Tanvir, Dwayne Bravo, Yasir Shah
Gold: Anton Devcich, Muhammad Rizwan, Cameron Delport
Silver: Azhar Ali, Amer Yamin, Fakhar Zaman, Zafar Gohar, Bilawal Bhatti
Emerging: Ghulam Mudasir, Usman Qadir
Supplementary Picks: Grant Elliot, Shaun Tait, Saif Badar, Muhammad Irfan
Islamabad United Players for PSL 2017
Platinum: Misbah ul Haq, Shane Watson, Andre Russell
Diamond: Sharjeel Khan, Muhammad Irfan, Samuel Badree
Gold: Muhammad Sami, Khalid Latif, Brad Haddin
Silver: Saeed Ajmal, Ruman Raees, Sam Bilings, Imran Khalid, Asif Ali
Emerging: Husain Talat, Amad Butt
Supplementary Picks: Dwayne Smith, Ben Duckett, Shahdaab Khan, Zohaib Khan